Politics.co.uk

Iran’s supreme leader intervenes in list dispute

Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei yesterday asserted that parliamentary elections on February 20th will take place, regardless of the in-fighting over the ban on liberal candidates.

Last month, the Guardians Council barred nearly half of the 8,200 candidates for the 20 February election.

And on Friday it said it would reinstate only another 200, according to Iran’s student news agency, ISNA.

All eyes are on Iran’s reformist politicians who have pledged to boycott the contest if the ruling Guardian Council refused to budge on the remaining 2000 banned “liberal” candidates.

A letter by President Mohammad Khatami – jointly signed by parliamentary speaker Mehdi Karrubi – sent to the Supreme Leader complained the unelected ruling body had acted improperly by drawing up the blacklist.

The Supreme Leader in his reply – released to the media – said the significance of the elections trumped other concerns.

“For the sake of the election, some complaints from all parties involved need to be ignored and everyone must work hand in hand,” he said.

The Interior Ministry has called for elections to be postponed until “fairness” could be guaranteed.

Over 120 liberal MPs have resigned over the political schism, ending a 26-day parliamentary sit-in on Thursday.

Iran’s largest reformist party, the Islamic Iran Participation Front, says it will boycott the ballot.