Cystic Fibrosis Trust responds to Trussell Trust’s report ‘Hunger in the UK’
In reponse to the Trussell Trust’s report Hunger in the UK, Clare Corbett, Director of External Affairs at Cystic Fibrosis Trust, said: “As today’s shocking report from the Trussell Trust highlights, disabled people and carers are more likely to be affected by the cost-of-living crisis. Our research, published earlier this month, found that 77% of people with cystic fibrosis felt their CF, or caring responsibilities had an impact on their employment opportunities, 1 in 3 had to borrow money for essentials, and 7% used a foodbank in the last year.
“No one should have to face hunger due to lack of money, but for people with cystic fibrosis (CF), who must maintain a high-calorie diet and a warm home to remain well, continued high costs are a serious risk to their health. Urgent action from the Government is needed to ensure that the heath of people with long term conditions including CF are protected.”
About Cystic Fibrosis
- Cystic fibrosis is an inherited disease caused by a faulty gene. This gene controls the movement of salt and water in and out of your cells, so the lungs and digestive system become clogged with mucus, making it hard to breathe and digest food.
- There are over 10,908 people with cystic fibrosis living in the UK and the population is growing every year.
- In terms of the nations the numbers of people with cystic fibrosis is as follows: England 9,044; Scotland 925; Northern Ireland 485 and Wales 454.
- Of those who died from cystic fibrosis in 2021, the median age of death was 38 years of age.
- Two million people in the UK are carrying the faulty gene without realising it. If two carriers have children, there’s a one in four chance their child will have the condition, which slowly destroys the lungs and digestive system.
About Cystic Fibrosis Trust
- The Cystic Fibrosis Trust is the only UK-wide charity dedicated to uniting for a life unlimited for everyone affected by cystic fibrosis.
- The Trust provides confidential advice, support, and information on any aspect of cystic fibrosis, including help with financial support.
- To contact the Cystic Fibrosis Trust helpline call (+44) 0300 373 1000 or (+44) 020 3795 2184.
- The work the Trust does is only made possible by the generous donations from supporters. Visit www.cysticfibrosis.org.
uk to find out more about cystic fibrosis, the work of the Trust and how you can help. To support us to unite for a life unlimited by cystic fibrosis text BEATCF to 70500 to give £5