Sienna Miller 'violated' by phone-hacking

Sienna Miller said she felt "violated" by phone-hacking intrusion
Sienna Miller said she felt "violated" by phone-hacking intrusion

By Alex Stevenson

Phone-hacking had a "damaging" impact on Sienna Miller's life, the actress has told the Leveson inquiry into press standards.

Ms Miller said she had been spat on and abused by paparazzi photographers to get a reaction and claimed she had been persistently followed by up to 15 men.

Her evidence came on a day which also saw ex-Formula One boss Max Mosley appear and Lord Justice Leveson announce that former Mirror editor Piers Morgan would appear before the inquiry at a later date.


Ms Miller said she had a separate phone number specifically for her publicist, but said she had subsequently discovered it was being monitored by Glenn Mulcaire.

"Every area of my life was under constant surveillance," she told the inquiry earlier. "I felt very violated and very paranoid - and anxious, constantly... I felt I was living in some sort of video game."

Ms Miller said she could not work out how the press were acquiring so many details about her life, causing her to grow suspicious of even her closest family members.

The Leveson inquiry heard that News International has notified the inquiry's legal team of its intention to comply with Ms Miller's request for full disclosure of the information they had about her.

Victims' lawyer Mark Thompson, who gave evidence immediately after Ms Miller, described his "vivid memory" of one occasion when she had been chased by paparazzi.

"It is truly frightening to see a news mob in pursuit," he said. "The pursuits are dangerous and I recommended clients video it, or film what happens. They are frightening. They frequently jump red lights and endanger themselves and others."

Mr Thompson, who has represented actor Hugh Grant, called for the Press Complaints Commission (PCC) to be transformed into a regulator with powers to investigate, call for evidence including draft articles and emails and impose fines on newspapers.

"Unless that happens the PCC with a few extra teeth isn't going to work, in my view," he added.

Former Formula One boss Mr Mosley also appeared today. He was awarded an unprecedented £60,000 in privacy damages over an untrue News of the World story that he had participated in a "Nazi orgy".

"The idea it's somehow a function of a tabloid journalist to pillory people whose tastes may be somewhat unusual is completely outdated," he argued.

"I think it's extraordinary the tabloid press don't recognise that. The truth of it is they do recognise it but it doesn't suit them to admit that is how things should be."

The inquiry agreed with a past judgement that News of the World chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck, a key figure in the phone-hacking scandal, had attempted to blackmail girls involved in the story into cooperating with a news story, in return for retaining their anonymity.

Mr Mosley said he felt his reputation would permanently be scarred by the news story, which had obscured his achievements in road safety.

"However long I live now, that is the number one thing people think of when they hear my name," he added. "It really matters."

After lunch Harry Potter author JK Rowling is set to give evidence.

The inquiry continues.

Comments

Load in comments
Politics @ Lunch

Friday lunchtime. Your Inbox. It's a date.