Cameron steadies the ship: ‘No knee jerk response’ to Woolwich terror

David Cameron quashed rumours of a possible revival of the snoopers' charter today, after he told reporters there would be no "knee-jerk" response to the suspected terror attack in Woolwich.

In a well-received statement outside Downing Street the prime minister called on the public to carry on with their lives as normal.

"One of the best ways to defeat terrorism is to go about our normal lives and that is what we shall do," he said.

"It's natural questions will be asked about which additional steps can be taken to keep us safe. I will ask those questions but I am not in favour of knee-jerk responses."

The comments calmed the nerves of many civil liberties advocates, who were worried that draconian legislation might be revived in the wake of the attack.

Several senior figures, including former Labour home secretary John Reid, have already called for the communications data bill, otherwise known as the snoopers' charter, to be revived in the wake of the attack.

"Acts like these and subsequent ugly reprisals are designed to terrorise and provoke," Liberty director of policy Isabella Sankey said.

"Let us respond in our best British traditions and resist calls for legislation that will not make us safer – but only less free."

It emerged today that both alleged assailants were already known to security services. Parliament's intelligence and security committee announced a short investigation into the information held by MI5.

The murdered man was named today as Lee Rigby, 26, of the 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers. He leaves a two-year-old son, Jack.

Cameron  today visited the scene of the terror attack and meet with community leaders before going for a private meeting at the barracks the soldier was returning to when he was killed.

The prime minister refused to offer much more information about the killing due to the ongoing investigation but it was confirmed that four people were taken by police from a council flat in Greenwich this morning, after a raid linked to the Woolwich killing.

Police shattered the hinge of the front door of the flat at 05:30 BST this morning before taking away two sister in their 30s, an older woman and a teenage boy.

It is not believed to be the home address of either suspect.

A second property in Lincolnshire was also raided.

Cameron chaired a Cobra meeting this morning with home secretary Theresa May, defence secretary Philip Hammond, Scotland Yard police commissioner Bernard Hogan-Howe and representatives of the intelligence services.

Military commanders told soldiers not to wear their uniforms in public until further notice but they were overruled by Downing Street, who said it sent out the wrong message.

Intelligence agencies will be focused on establishing whether the attack yesterday was a one-off event or the start of a terror campaign.

The two men are currently recovering in separate hospitals under armed guard after they were shot by police. Both of them are under arrest.

Reuters reported last night that a possible Nigerian link to the attack was being investigated.

Parliament is not expected to be recalled over the incident.