The Community Investment Coalition
CDF is part of the Community Investment Coalition (CIC), a partnership of national organisations which aims to increase access to affordable finance for families, businesses and communities.
CIC campaigns for:
• Increased transparency and public accountability of financial service providers to support consumer choice and allow effective intervention in under-served markets.
• Increasing diversity of providers and choice for consumers in the financial services sector, with more providers offering a wider range of fair and affordable products to households, individuals, communities and businesses.
• More innovation in the financial services sector so that affordable financial products are delivered accessibly to all communities.
• Sustainable local economic growth with a greater share of locally generated income remaining within communities to drive economic growth.
• Improvements in financial literacy for all sections of the community.
Latest activities: Campaigning for banks to disclose their lending data
CIC successfully led a campaign to persuade the UK’s major lenders to disclose their lending data (of personal lending, mortgage lending and lending to small and medium enterprises) for the first time.
In December 2013, CIC wrote to all top tier local authorities in Great Britain and local enterprise partnerships (LEPs) in England to raise awareness of the availability of the data.
We have had responses from places as far away from each other as the Orkneys and Plymouth informing us that they are looking at how to build the data into financial inclusion work.
CIC is now working to promote awareness of the availability of the data and is in liaison with several academics working on financial inclusion issues to see how they can build it into their work.