Global Construction Leaders gather in Cardiff to strengthen links with the National Assembly for Wales
For a week in June, construction industry leaders from around the world will descend upon Cardiff as part of the Chartered Institute of Building’s (CIOB) Members’ Forum. As part of this global event, a special reception is being hosted for this international audience at the National Assembly for Wales by the Minister for Skills and Science, Julie Jameson the evening of Wednesday 21 June.
The CIOB’s annual international Members’ Forum, last year held in Hong Kong is taking place between June 18 and 23 in the Welsh capital. As part of this week-long event (see Notes to Editor for more information), the reception at the Senedd, on the evening of Wednesday 21 June 2017, will take place between 6pm and 8pm (in the Neuadd event space). Members of the media are warmly invited to attend.
In attendance will be up to 100 construction industry leaders from all around the world, in addition to many more industry leaders from around Wales and the UK. Speaking ahead of the reception, the Chief Executive of the CIOB, Chris Blythe OBE, said: “During the week of our Members’ Forum, all industry eyes from an international perspective will be on Wales and we welcome the opportunity to meet with Assembly Members and industry leaders from around Wales, the UK and further afield. Our aim is to ensure the work of the construction industry is clearly understood by some of the key decision and policy makers in Wales and it gives them the unique opportunity to showcase what Wales has to offer the international construction industry.”
Skills and Science Minister, Julie James said: “As one of our key priority sectors we are committed to growing Wales’ already impressive construction capabilities and I am delighted to be able to host this event and welcome so many global construction leaders to Cardiff. With exciting projects such as Wylfa Newydd in the North and the proposed Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon power plant in the South, this industry provides well paid employment opportunities for thousands of skilled workers across the country and we are determined to ensure that continues. Ensuring Wales has the right skills and training to meet current and future economic needs sits right at the heart of our Taking Wales Forward agenda and I look forward to discussing this further with those at this reception.”
Gareth John FCIOB, Chairman of the CIOB Hub in Wales, added: “As Chairman of the CIOB Hub in Wales, it really is an honour to welcome our esteemed guests from all over the world to the CIOB’s Members’ Forum and we are very pleased that Wales, indeed Cardiff, has been chosen to be this year’s host city. Cardiff is the capital city of one of the most unique country’s in the world and I am sure that our colleagues at the National Assembly for Wales will take every opportunity to demonstrate what Wales has to offer the industry around the world. I would also like to thank the Minister for Skills and Science, Julie James for so kindly hosting this very special event.”
Further information about the Welsh Assembly Reception can be found at:- https://membersforum.ciob.org/ciob-welsh-assembly-reception
Notes to Editor:
· The CIOB is at the very heart of a management career in construction. We are the world's largest and most influential professional body for construction management and leadership, and our members work globally in the development, conservation and improvement of the built environment. Globally, we have almost 50,000 members, of which around 1,500 are in Wales.
· We have a Royal Charter to promote the science and practice of building and construction for the benefit of society, which we have been doing since 1834. We accredit university degrees, educational courses and training.
· Our professional and vocational qualifications are a mark of the highest levels of competence and professionalism, providing assurance to clients and other professionals procuring built assets.
· More information about the CIOB can be found at www.CIOB.org
· You can follow the CIOB on Twitter at: @TheCIOB, @CIOBWales, @CIOBPolicy
· The CIOB’s Members’ Forum in Cardiff in June includes:
CIOB Members Forum (Hilton Hotel)
CIOB Welsh Assembly Reception (National Assembly for Wales)
CIOB Annual Conference (Hilton Cardiff)
CIOB Annual Presidents Dinner (The Coal Exchange)
· Members of the media wishing to attend the Welsh Assembly reception (June 21), can contact Steven Crane-Jenkins (Policy Officer Cymru) on 07827 829 610 / firstname.lastname@example.org.