The mesothelioma bill will ensure sufferers of a certain asbestos related cancer receive payments where no liable employer or insurer can be traced.
The bill will:
- Establish a payment scheme for people with diffuse mesothelioma where their employer or employer's liability insurance company cannot be traced, and make provision about the resolution of certain insurance disputes.
- Make payments funded by a levy on live employers' liability insurers and follow consultations and agreements with the insurance industry, claimant lawyers and claimant representatives
- Allow roughly 3,500 mesothelioma sufferers to claim compensation of approximately £355 million in payments even if they cannot trace a liable employer
- Correct an insurance market failure where insurers failed to keep adequate records of employers liability insurance when exposure took place
- Fund the scheme by a levy on insurers to pay the xtra cash over and above the £200 million the industry already pays in compensating sufferers.
- Allow anyone diagnosed with mesothelioma since July 25th 2012 to make a claim