The gambling bill is designed to extend the scope of the regulatory regime currently governing remote gambling and provide greater consumer protection for customers in Britain.
The bill will:
- Change the regulatory system to ensure firms are regulated at point of consumption rather than country of origin – thereby bringing many online operations into the fold.
- Require all operators or advertisers in the British market to hold a UK Gambling Commission licence.
- Require all remote gambling operators to support action against illegal activity and corruption in sport, by forcing overseas operations to report suspicious betting patterns involving British customers.
- Require all gambling operators to contribute to research, education and treatment of gambling addiction.
- Require all gambling operators to comply with licences to protect children and vulnerable adults.