Tuesday, 9 September 2008 12:00 AM
A seminar on understanding and working with challenging behaviours in people on the autism spectrum is to be held in the ESIS Centre in Treforest on Friday 12 September.
The event is being organised by Autism Cymru, Wales' National Charity for Autism. The speaker will be Australian Donna Williams who herself has autism and is a world renowned expert on the condition.
Donna was diagnosed with autism in her twenties after what might be described as an eventful childhood during which she says her senses and perception were chaotic and fragmented.
She has written an autobiography entitled Nobody Nowhere, now an international best seller and the first of a series of books she has written. She now writes films, screenplays and fiction as well as being a sociologist, qualified teacher, artist and sculptor.
In addition she has been the subject of a number of documentaries about autism.
Donna will discuss a range of issues including simple straightforward strategies which can reduce troublespots and address challenging behaviours in more autism-friendly and autism-informed styles.
The seminar is open to professionals working in all disciplines at all levels as well as parents of children with ASD.
The seminar costs £45 for Professionals or £10 for a parent or person with ASD.
For further information or to book a place contact Jennie Thomas on 029 20463263 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
1. For further information call Jennie Thomas on 029 20463263.
2. For information on autism go to www.awares.org
3. Autism Cymru is Wales' National Charity for Autism with offices in Cardiff, Aberystwyth and Wrexham.
4. Donna Williams is a person diagnosed with Autism, a Sociologist and qualified teacher and the author of nine published books including Autism; An Inside Out Approach and her international best-selling autobiography, Nobody Nowhere (all available from Jessica Kingsley Publishers www.jkp.com ).
5. Donna is an internationally renowned public speaker, a consultant, as well as a sculptor, painter, composer and screenwriter.